Friday, May 22, 2009

Hmmm...BBQ season

Yea! Memorial Weekend is here. Start up the barbe...wait, what wine are we going to drink?

This weekend calls for something much lighter than the Oregon Pinots I love to talk about so much. Hmm...we have to think of something else. Don't worry, I have a few ideas.

Here's a bubbly for you. 2005 Argyle Brut. It's a $30 blend of Oregon Chardonnay, Oregon Pinot Noir, and it's a sparkling. This comes from their Knudsen Vineyard which produces yummy pinots, but that's not the point. They say fresh aromas of pears and lemon meringue pie. But I think there's a hint key lime to it too. Perfect for if you're segwaying into margaritas later.

One we won't be drinking this weekend is the Eyrie Pinot Gris Estate. Well priced at under $20 at a bottle shop. We aren't drinking this because I don't like to share. Enough said. But if you find this, enjoy, it is tasty! I recommend it with a cedar plank salmon spritzed in lemon with fresh cilantro. Oh, now I'm hungry.

A wine we will be drinking this weekend (at home, just the two of us probably) tickles the sweet buds of my tongue just thinking about it. Elk Cove Ultima. The 2006 Ultima is a blend of mainly Riesling and Gewurztraminer but has a touch of Muscat to send it over the top with 26% residual sugar. I'll take that over ice cream sundays any day! Something you may have to get from the winery, but at $32 (375 mL) I'd have them send 2, one for 4th of July and one Labor Day, just to be on the safe side.

And now for a wine I wish I could drink this weekend...Archery Summit's Vireton Rose 2008. I have had the 2007 vintage Rose and if the 2008 is even half what that wine was I will be overjoyed. I think it will be even better to be honest. However...it isn't released until JUNE!!! Eh, will just have to get some for the 4th of July. This is a wine I would jump on, if their A-list doesn't clean them out first.

1 comment:

Sarah Hutnick said...

we're soul sisters...maybe you will like my blog "breathe air & drink wine" i'm 26 (location newport beach) take care, sarah