Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wine Tasting: Domaine Drouhin Oregon

I recommend going to Domaine Drouhin if you're on a "Tour de Pinots." They are very different from Domaine Serene and even more differentiated from Archery Summit. They have very elegant and feminine pinots. Probably the most Burgundian in style. They are nicknamed DDO, many people call them just DDO.

Wine: The Arthur Chardonnay is probably the best chard I've had in a long while. I don't really care for many, but they are growing on me I think. Not necessarily something I'd buy, but definitely worthy of tasting. I don't care for their pinots at all. They are so light and lack complexity. They don't have much color and I like a deep, rich colored pinot. I definitely don't think these are very age worthy, as wines loose some complexity with age, I fear they'd become pastel colored water before I got to them in a few years.

Vineyards: There is a lot of unused space they could have a great flower garden or just more vines. Maybe they could just get some good turf in there so they could have an attractive lawn for wedding and reception space. Although they do have a great view, the dead space detracts from the over all experience of the view. The vines themselves were very orderly and kept rather well groomed, although I think they should have hedged the rows by the day we went, that was probably going to happen in a few days.

Tasting Room: They have too high of a bar!!! I'm 5'3.75" and my arm went numb waiting for my glass to be filled. They have a bit of sitting room and they also have some pieces of history like an old wine press. I think there were windows into the fermentation hall, but the lights were off as it was a weekend.

Service: The ladies behind the bar were great, very friendly and answered all my questions. They too use the Oregon Pinot Glass, I hope this trend is catching on elsewhere!

Something special: All of their wines are names after their children. Their sister winery is in FRANCE, hence why this is called Domaine Drouhin OREGON, there's another Domaine Drouhin. DDO was the first winery in the Dundee Hills if my history is correct.

Overall Wine Experience Score: 79

Stats: Domaine Drouhin Oregon (DDO)
Address: 6750 Breyman Orchards Rd. Dayton, OR 97114
Tasting room is open Wednesday through Sunday 10am-4pm
Tasting Fee: $15
Website: http://www.domainedrouhin.com/
Wines: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir

No comments: