Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cellaring Wines

I have heard that somewhere between 90-99% of wines should not be aged. They are for drinking and enjoying within a year. To me, this seems true. I wouldn't age most of what I see in the grocery store, although that is changing as I just saw Adelsheim at Fred Meyer's the other day and I would lay some of their stuff down.

I would say that a lot of wine doesn't age. By that I mean that although it's getting older, it isn't getting better, or maybe not changing in anyway, good or bad. There is so much wine at the grocery store, these wines do not have the same demographic as those you purchase at the grocery store. I said I found an Adelsheim Pinot Noir at Fred's, well it's really their lowest end Pinot, not a bad pinot, but the least expensive and drinking well now.

Why would you go to the store to pick up dinner for tonight or later this week and get wine for 3 years from now. You're needing, and wanting, something that will pair well with this meal, NOW. It's not a good idea for all wine sold to need aging. These wines are bread and butter for the vino industry. And in such an impatient society, we need some instant gratification wine too. Don't get me wrong, I have 8 cases of wine that I guess you'd have to say I'm aging as I don't have the liver for consuming them all now, and I am ever collecting (oops!).

But what is aging but hoping and praying? Is that wine incurring interest? It better be. If you lay down a wine, aren't you hoping you get 6% per year? I hope that wine is becoming more interesting, I have so much riding on this theory myself. (haha, you like that metaphor - great in a recession huh ;) )

I age wine. I have my little wine fridge for my Pinots, some Cabs & Syrahs are there too. Not to mention my bitty fridge that holds my eisweins (properly pronounced ice vines in German, but usually called Ice Wines). Although my collection will never be up for auction at Christie's, I hope my friends and I will have some great stories to share about that wine we bought when we had so many hopes and dreams.

A suggestion: if you want to lay down a wine, even one from the grocery store email the producer. They will be able to tell you their recommendation for aging. Even Willamette Valley Wines and Gallo have some longevity. And if you don't refuse wine because of it's closure, you'll be fine with screw caps left for 1/2 decade whether it cost $150 or $1.50.

Bottom line: I like to lay down wine. I think there is a great chance you'll have an enjoyable wine for years to come whether you buy it at the grocery store or a winery, but most wine is to be drank young. If stored properly, or at least not upright on a window ledge or next to the stove, you'll have good or better wine, well, hopefully just not worse wine.

No comments: