Friday, December 5, 2008

Critter Labels

"You'll sell 25% more wine if there is an animal on your label." This is a quote I heard in a marketing class. That quote rings true in the grocery store I think. I've bought a few of them myself. I think about 1 in 5 labels in the grocery store has a pet on it. The first bottle I bought on my 21st birthday had 2 chickens on it. They are cute and don't look as intimidating as some labels might. Some are funny to see in the store too. It seems like Little Penguin is catering to soccer moms, you know let the kiddies pick their favorite critter for dinner. My gawd, it comes in a juice box with a penguin on it, what kid wouldn't want to grab that off the shelf. And who doesn't recognize the kangaroo. Yellow Tail might as well be the only Aussie brand of wine to some, it's the only Aussie wine my friends recognize immediately (I'm working on them, I promise).

I think if something has a plastic critter label, it is very accessible, and probably drinkable, but lacking complexity and probably much in the way of deliciousness. These are what I call 'Grey's Anatomy wines.' Wine you drink when you're really focused on something else, like a great drama, a festive party, or just getting inebriated cheaply. I think the animal cheapens the price much like a screw cap can. It just doesn't scream wine, it screams grape juice with a touch of alcohol. Hopefully these wines make people more comfortable with the idea of drinking wine with meals and when entertaining so that they can ease into those hoytier toytier looking wines.

If you're at the grocery store and want to try the google eyed, card playing 3 Blind Moose or the line drawings of Dog House.

Please note: I think there is a way to have a bunny on your label and it be classy, Scott Paul did it.

No comments: