Friday, January 2, 2009

2008 - the year of Syrah

2008 certainly was a great year for drinking wine. And it certainly has been a great year for Syrah! Some Oregon Syrahs I have enjoyed include those from Dominio IV, Rockblock by Domaine Serene, Elk Cove, Carlos and Julian, and Adelshiem,. If you're holding the latest issue of Wine Enthusiast (12/31/08), you can look to both the best buy list and the top 100 of 2008 to see both start with a syrah in the #1 slot. For the Best Buys #1 (90 pts )Bodegas Luzon 2007 Luzon, a Monastrell-Syrah blend for $9. And #7 is (again 90 pts) Mandolin 2005 Syrah for $10. I can't recommend either personally, but at that price you can defiantely take the risk yourself. I will be looking both of them up soon myself. On the Top 100 of 2008 #1 again goes to a Syrah with Failla 2006 Phoenix Ranch Syrah $42 (95 pts). I have this one though I haven't tasted it. It recommends a wait of 6 years (ahhh, I think I can give it a bit longer before breaking down.

I love learning about different varietals and Syrah is one my husband can't get enough of. I am sure I'll have more to talk about when the syrahs I have been laying down are ready.

Cheers!

No comments: