Sunday, January 25, 2009

Who Do You Trust?

Who do you trust?

Wine Enthusiast and Wine Spectator have fabulous articles and of course lots of scores. But when someone like Domaine Serene advertises their Monogram ($225) for 6 months prior to release and then pulls all mid 90s, you have to wonder. I love their wine, but I still wonder.

Since 99% of what I know is about Pinot my examples may not be more than just regionally relevant and I apologize for that.

The Wine Advocate and Burghound do not accept advertising so $$$ for ads obviously can't sway anyone. And although I do not believe WE and WS ratings are skewed by those who contribute to their budgets, you still have the opportunity to be skeptical because there are so many ads. (and the whole fake restaurant thing that happened last year, you know that WS thing we're all thinking and not saying.)

Okay, I've had my fun, I mean this question sincerely. There are speculations about many different published magazines, but who do you trust? Does your pallet line up with Steve Tanzer, Robert Parker, Harvey Steinman, or Dr. Jay Miller? And do you believe them because they are renowned for what they do, or because your pallet matches theirs on so many occasions.

I am working on creating a cellar right now so I don't think I can say whether I agree with anyone across any sized board. I think my Pinot Pallet is closer aligned with Burghound than with Dr. Jay or Steinman. I would love to taste some of "Parker's Perfects" some day (wines Parker has rated 100 pts). But I don't feel inclined to buy a wine solely based on one man's opinion, I don't listen to my own father that much, let alone a stranger with a wine glass. If someone happens to have one, or I find one that is a bargain, I may swoop down on it like a screeching eagle.

If I am so fortunate to find someone to agree with, I will be able to pounce on wines I will probably like and that is the goal right? Finding the most delicious wine for you.

1 comment:

thomas said...

It's hard to say who I really trust when it comes to wine reviews. I think every critic out there speaks his or her piece and it's ultimately up to each one of us to go out and just experience the wines for ourselves. I do however believe that there are a few blow-hard wine reviewers out there and they live a fantasy life. ie James Suckling! I personally like Gary V from the wine library and think he is as real as they come. Thanks for following my blog, I did the same to yours! Cheers!