Thursday, October 13, 2011

Christmas in October!!!

I am such a dork, the UPS man just dropped off my wine.com wines and I couldn't wait for him to go away so I could squeal with delight over my new case of vino. This makes my second package of wine in as many days.

Working in the Oregon wine industry I drink a lot of Pinot. Not that this is a problem, on the contrary, love me some pinot. But I am determined to branch out and try some of the delicious stylings of other growing regions around the world. We love Tempranillo and hope to travel to Spain in the next 5 years to experience the Riojas of the Old World mpre studiously.

Back to my wine shipment though...

The man in brown brought me my case of 6 bottles that included 3 different Tempranillos from Spain. They weren't expensive bottles but they are all going to be poured this Saturday for our wine pairing event "Tamales & Tempranillo" we're having with friends.

The case included 4 bottles of Protocolo 2009 Tinto, rated 89pts by Wine Enthusiast and #2 on their 2011 Best Buys list ($7.99 at wine.com). I also bought 1 bottle of Montebuena 2009 Rioja (all Temp). Google is now telling me it was rated bt Robert Parker at 90pts, awesome! The last bottle is a Marques de Riscal 2006 Tempranillo. It sounded good in the description and I couldn't help but purchase one more bottle so I could get $10 off my shipment. So that one was really only another $.29. Oh the joys of wien buying.

Yesterday I also got a package from Quilceda Creek. My allocation finally came through this summer. If you're still on their waiting list, I signed up in the winter of 2009. I can't get the good stuff yet, just the "Red Wine" but only time will tell how long it takes at purchasing a few bottles of red wine each year.