Monday, October 10, 2011

On the Hunt!

We've been on the hunt for Tempranillo for months now. We've found that more than just Purple Cow in Forest Grove makes good Temps in the Willamette Valley.

Here are some of our findings:
Vidon - purchases from CA but it's beautiful. I wish they would have left their current release in the barrel a bit longer and maybe with a bit more new oak on the wine but with a few years I think this one will make me cry. Dave said they will be planting some Estate Temp this year or next year. Can't wait for that!

Stoller - we bought 3 bottles of their 2009 Estate Tempranillo over Memorial Weekend. I can't believe it, a Willamette Valley Estate Temp. We had one bottle on International Tempranillo Day, 9/1/11, and can't wait for a good day to start a fire in the living room, snuggle up with a blanket, the cat and a good chick flick. This wine warms my heart and I really should go back for a few more bottles before it's sold out. They have a one acre triangle on their estate that is west facing and, in my opinion, a perfect spot to grow Temp.

Oswego Hills - We had to buy their Temp Port just to try it. They only had a few cases so they weren't tasting it at the winery but we needed it for our Tempranillo tasting party on the 15th (more about that later).

Purple Cow - We always love their wine. We joined for the Marechal Foch, it was a varietal we knew nothing about but it tasted amazing and so different than the Pinots we'd been drinking. They will have their first Estate Tempranillo for the wine club this fall. We've been waiting for this for a long time now, we've watched the vines grow for several years and are so excited to taste the fruits of their labor. (Puns always intended.)

On October 15th I will be hosting a Tempranillo and Tamales dinner party for several of our wine and foodie friends. I promise to post about the party, I promise!!!